Old May 21st 07, 01:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Frank McCoy

Default HIGH Screen resolution kills performance in WIN/XP?

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt hummingbird
wrote:

On Sun, 20 May 2007 15:48:25 -0400 'Coffee Lover'
posted this onto alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt:

I got my resolution AS high as possible right now.
I read/heard the higher the resolution, you get a drop in performance?
1280 X 1024 right now, what's a good one for performance?

Or does it matter????????

I use 800 x 600 on my 17" LCD and it displays at lightning speed
with excellent sharpness etc. I'm at a loss to know why so many
people use higher res on similar monitors.

If you have an LCD monitor, you should really really *REALLY* use
"native resolution" on the thing. Anything else is crappy and a fairly
bad compromise in quality. That's completely *unlike* CRT monitors that
can change resolutions without compromising any quality except the
difference in resolution itself ... which depends a lot more on the
dot-pitch capabilities of the monitor than actual resolution selected.

An LCD or plasma-panel have exactly so many pixels; no more, and no
less. If you pick a lower resolution; then the screen has to juggle
things and sometimes smear one line across two, and others one-for-one;
often making fine details look really crappy. Rarely indeed do the
resolutions come out *exactly* two-to-one; which is the best compromise
possible.

A CRT, on the other hand, just changes the sweep speeds to *exactly*
match whatever display resolution you set ... Presuming the monitor does
support that mode.

Setting any other resolution for desktop or games than native resolution
on an LCD panel is really a BIG mistake ... and hard on the eyes, too.

Oh, some games *won't* work in full native resolution (800x600 being the
limit for some older types); but that's becoming quite rare these days.

--
_____
/ ' / ™