Old May 20th 07, 06:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Fishface

Default Best card for x16 slot that is wired x4

A co-worker picked-up one of those Fry's special $200 computers
on Friday to replace his eMachines Celeron 1Ghz dinosaur. It has
an ECS 945GZT-M motherboard which has an x16 PCI-E slot which
is only x4 electrically.
It came with a Celeron D 352 (3.2 GHz) and will have 2 x 512MB ddr2
running dual channel. He might eventually replace the Celeron with a
C2D, since the board supports it.

He likes to play games and would like the best gaming experience
possible under the circumstances. He has a CRT and will likely play
at lower resolutions.

What would be the best card he could get that would not be wasted on
this board's x4 ability? The x4 slot has a maximum bandwidth of about
1000 MB/s, according to what I have read. I was thinking a 7600GT,
then discovered the x4 and figured I'd better ask. Thanks for any help!