Old July 18th 06, 05:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Merf

Default Question about DVI-I

"Bazza" wrote in message
u...
"Merf" wrote...
The Nvidia card (BFG 7800 GS OC 256) has a DVI-I connector and a 15 pin D
connector. I want to use the DVI-I connector on the video card, but I
can't
find a monitor with a DVI-I connector. I hope that I don't have to spend a
ton of $$$ to get one with DVI-I. All the ones I find have DVI-D
connectors.

DVI-I == Both digital & analogue signals
DVI-D == Digital only.

See here for a description of the cable differences:

http://www.lindy.com.au/tips/Digital..._Explained.htm

Take a look at Viewsonic. I have a VP2030B (not cheap but a GREAT monitor)
which has a DVI-I connector.

I guess I am asking what is a good monitor that has DVI-I that is not
really
expensive or can the video card work with the DVI-D connector?

Yes.

The monitor & card will work with a DVI-D cable ... in fact it may work even
better because there is no analogue signal to confuse the monitor. I
replaced the
supplied DVI-I cable on the VP2030B with a dual link DVI-D cable.

You will only *need* a single link DVI-x cable, however, the VP2030B & most
LCD monitors support dual link. I didn't check but the BFG 7800 GS will
almost
certainly support dual link ... if the doco states that the card supports
24-pin DVI
that means dual link (18-pin is single link ... see the above link for more
details).

Cheers
Bazza...

I looked at the link, and I can see that the DVI-D configuration will fit
into the DVI-I connector. Very nice.

Thanks for the information *_*