Old March 11th 06, 05:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default eVGA 7900GT manufacturer-overclocked to 550/1580 at Newegg @359 !!

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:47:37 GMT, "McGrandpa"
wrote:

"First of One" wrote in message
Come to think of it, what tangible features is DX10 supposed to offer
anyway? FP48? Game developers are barely scratching the surface with
Shader Model 3.0. What could they possibly do, graphics-wise, to make a
game like F.E.A.R. look more realistic?

Higher resolution meshes in the models. But that's the base end stuff, the
building block. At the upper rendering end, I don't know. Softshadows give
an awfully realistic (and sometimes creepy) feel to the whole scene. The
lighting/shadowing *did it* for me in FEAR. It went from ' it's ok,
ho-hum' to 'oh hell!' just that quick.
That's going from 6800GT 256 single card to 7800GTX 256 SLI. When I turned
on Softshadows for the 6800GT, things slowed to molasses in January in game.
Nothing in FEAR slowed down the 7800GTX's though. And the softshadows and
ultra quality lighting do make a huge difference in both quality of the
scene and in performance hit.
We've now got real looking effects of all kinds. fire, smoke, water, rain,
mist, shadowing, lighting. More realistic looking / shaped models would
help.

.... make FEAR a better game ?? Or give a more realistic (uh..) 'feel'
to Lara's curves when she is in motion ? Preordered the latest
version of Tomb Raider yet ? Gramps, come clean now; you are
amongst friends...

John Lewis