Old September 18th 05, 08:10 PM
Matt

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:44:46 GMT, "tod"
wrote:

I'm looking to replace my ATI 9600 Pro (AGP) with something a little newer.
I was going to go ATI X700 Pro, but I would like to know
if there would be any advantages to getting a NVIDIA 6600GT?
I play mostly RTS and a few RPG games, no first person shooters.

http://www.tweakzone.nl/extreviews/3967

I imagine the x700 would fair a bit better in HL2 (in part thanks to
shadow maps being converted up to 32 bit textures---1/3 more overhead)

From personal experience (xp 2500 and a 6600 GT OC + 1 gig of 3200),
HL scores at about 43 fps (min 24 high 80+) at 1024 with AA at 2, max
settings from the graphical interface (I imagine a better image could
be obtained through the console which I did not play with)

Side note: last I checked, the x700 was PCI-E only.