Old April 22nd 04, 10:26 AM
Nom

Default Require list of IDE controller chipsets

Piotr Makley wrote:
kony wrote:

Since Maxtor doesn't make ATA controller chipsets it's going
to be one of the popular soft-raid controllers, probably
Promise Ultra100 in disguise... and yes, will work with any
drive.

I am interested in IDE controller chipsets because I need to keep
an eye on the model of the controllers for when I change the mobo.

Seems that WinXP gets installed with a driver for only one
particular IDE controller.

Yep. But that doesn't matter, as you should be doing a full reinstall when
changing the Motherboard anyway.

Where can I get a list of controller chipsets used over the last
three years or so?

For what ? As above, the full reinstall required, means it doesn't matter
what drive controller is present.

If you *REALLY* need to move an XP installation to another board, then you
need to be using Microsoft's SysPrep tool. Bear in mind you'll need to grab
an approproate INF file full of drive controller IDs, if you wanna change
drive controllers.