Old March 26th 16, 04:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

Default Tired of hot processor on P9X79

On 3/19/2016 8:28 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
On 3/15/2016 7:10 AM, pk121 wrote:
Hi Bill
I use this case
http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-v1020/
It keeps my system exceptionally cool and fairly quiet
right on my desk 3 ft from where I sit
pk121

Thanks. I've been out of town for the past few days so had to put off
doing anything. Just for the record, here's what I've ordered today
from Newegg:

Corsair Obsidian 750D case

NZXT Kraken X61 RL-KRX61-01 280mm Water/Liquid CPU Cooling Solution

Silverstone PCI Express Card with USB 3.0 Internal Connector

Will this solve my overheating problem? We shall see, probably next
weekend. I'll let you know. Thanks, everybody, for your input.

Just look, it's next weekend and Newegg and the US Postal service have
come through a day early -- case delivered by FEDEX on Wednesday, cooler
and USB3 card promised on Saturday but delivered Friday by USPS.) And
now, after spending all afternoon and evening making the switch from one
case to the other, everything is working. Want to know my one mistake?
I had everything plugged in and I turned it on and it couldn't find
the boot drive. Why? Because it was the One. Single. Thing. I hadn't
plugged a power cable into. A simple slap on the forehead later and all
was well.

So now I'm transcoding video and finally, after years of dealing with an
Asus P9X79 setup that worked great except for when it had to work hard,
just look at these temps under 100% load! Just look!

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...hare_link_copy

https://goo.gl/S2VxCM

And not only is it doing the job without complaining, it looks pretty
nice too!

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...hare_link_copy

https://goo.gl/SctUIW

Pretty nice? What am I saying. I think it looks terrific. It's big,
though. Kinda like the 2001 A Space Odyssey monolith. I hope it
doesn't start calling me "Dave."

And the USB 3.0 internal card is working just fine in a PCI slot even
though the card is PCIE. And it's all running quiet, so very quiet!

Finally, finally. Thanks all of you, Paul especially, for your help.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog