Old July 11th 03, 11:24 PM
John Edward Scott

"Rob King" wrote in message

"John Edward Scott" wrote in message

"Rob King" wrote in message

"John Edward Scott" wrote in message
Hi all,

SNIP

Dude! That's a pretty big find. Well done! :-)

Maybe that's the fault with all these 700s..... the hardware is fine,

it's
just the software image that's screwed on these machines?

Now, I just have to get my 700 back from the service centre so I can

fix
it
myself.

BTW, got a URL for the software?

Hi Rob,

Yeah hopefully it's going to be a big help, I'm on day 3 now without any
major lockups and the machine is DEFINITELY running a lot cooler. Ok,

the
"official channels" say that to get the AMD PowerNow! stuff you're

supposed
to go to AMD or the retailer (Compaq) to get it. Despite searching for

AGES
on both of those sites I couldn't find it.

I have however managed to get it, so unless someone tells me otherwise I

can
point you in the right direction. Remember of course that this is AMD's
software not mine, as far as I can tell it's not under any restrictions

(I
looked and looked on AMD's site). Oh and I didn't have any problems
installing it, but remember BACKUP if you're in any doubts.

Feel free to get in touch if you need a hand, I'm very curious to see if
other people get the same results as me.

I read on the AMD web site that you don't need the software in WinXP

beacuse
it already includes it.
I found this in the release notes at:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/SellAMDProducts/0,,30_177_3472_1353^3841^9079^964^4396,00.html

Rob,

I've just checked and the software I have has installs for XP and for
Win2K/98/ME. The Win2K/98/ME is quite a large install (about 1.5 Mb), the XP
install looks like it just installs the AMDK7.SYS driver, which *should* be
installed by Windows Update, however it would be interesting to know how
many AMD/XP owners out there don't have this already installed.

John.