Old January 21st 04, 01:12 AM

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:15:28 GMT, "Dr. J. Smith"
wrote:

Memory refresher: I cooked the AMD 1.40GHz cpu on wife's K7S5A MB
Current status: Back's sore from sleeping on the couch

I went to the place where she bought the system (a different city of course)
to get the fastest cpu I could get for the 266-fsb. He asks which version of
K7S5A is it? There is nothing on the board, the bill or the box to indicate
it is anything other than a K7S5A so I say, you installed it you tell me (it
replaced a failed K7AMA so it's still under warranty). He can't be sure but
he looks on the web and tells me the fastest chip I can put in it is an XP
1800+ which he doesn't have. I come home and look up the MB and find this...
http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/k7s5a.html which seems to indicate it'll
take a 2600+ cpu. Is anyone familiar enough with this MB to clue me in as to
what's what?

Ive seen people post that theres something on the board somewhere
thatll tell you whether its a version 1 or 3 the two versions they
seem to single out.

All the boards I have , have a sticker or some the version number on
the board somewhere like inbetween the PCI slots or on the other side
of the board etc.

Ive seen people post say that they even have the 1.x board and with a
bios upgrade they were supposed to be able to run the 2400. Im sure
the 2600 is included - with the 266 FSB.