Old July 6th 04, 09:29 PM
Ian Roberts

Default 8500DV - on restart WinXP h/w auto detect reinstalls old drivers I just removed!!

Hi

Sorry to be so long winded with this. Just hope that someone can assist me
in cleaning this up...

Having just finished a fresh install of Win XP Pro I downloaded the lastest
CATALYST 4.6 display drivers to replace the 2001 drivers (which are
pitifully buggy) that Windows update had obtained and installed.

The install instructions for 4.6 very specifically states that all the old
drivers must be removed before attempting to install the new ones.

I carefully followed the instructions which say go to control panel,
add/remove programs and remove "ATI display driver".

This is the first stumbling block as the ATI display driver isnt in the
list. So I went to cp/display/settings/advanced/adaptor/properties/driver
and clicked on uninstall driver.

All seemed OK but upon restarting, windows XP auto detects "new" hardware
and installs the drivers I just removed. I then get caught in a loop of
attempting remove and then auto detect reinstalls them!

So to hell with it I thought and installed the new drivers anyway.

All seems OK except I cant get a res higher than 800x600. Ive got a 19"
trinitron monitor which I use at 1152x864, 32bit 100hz referesh on my other
install of Win XP ( I multi-boot various incarnations of windows).

Why are the ATI drivers and software such a pig to install and work with?

Can anyone give me clear instructions on how to completly remove all the ATI
software and then do a fresh install of the display drivers and MMC and also
explain what order I should install everything in.

This is the installation order as I understand it:
MS DX9b
MS WMEncoder
ATI Display Driver
ATI DAO MDAC (mmc-9-1-0-0-dao-mdac.exe)
ATI DVD encoder (atiCDwiz-v3-0.exe)
ATI MMC (mmc-9-1-0-0.exe)

Thanks a lot for reading all this and any assistance you may be able to
offer.

Ian