Old September 23rd 03, 08:46 AM
Tim

I went around this issue tons of times before I got it to work.
The *only* way it works on *this* mobo is with the Intel SATA as RAID - even
though I am not using raid. This is completely contrary to what you are
saying, to what I was expecting, and how other SATA / PATA RAID controllers
work. With the Intel SATA as IDE, the standard IDE1 and 2 disappear!!!!!!!!
This had me absolutely miffed for weeks 'cos it meant I had not choice but
to use that horrid ITE device as an IDE device, which in turn elongated my
boot times by 22 or so seconds.

I am more than happy to be proven wrong, but would suspect something else
has been fixed first (EG m/b revision, bios).
I use F6 bios.

- Tim

"Taliska" wrote in message
IE when the intel SATA controller is configured as RAID you can boot of

it,
if it is not, it has to be set to IDEx to boot and that removes the real
IDEx from your machine.

Nope, nope....

Set the SATA to Manual and enable it - don't set it up as a RAID. You can
then boot off it as a SATA drive and still have all your IDE's available.

If
you can't set the boot order 'cos you can't see it, then enable all RAID
controllers.

Taliska

"Tim" wrote in message

So, if SATA0_SB is Pri Master, you will no doubt not see IDE1.
If SATA0_SB is configured as SATA0, then your disc is not recognised.

The onchip SATA controller works best if it is configured as RAID even

if
you do not have a RAID config.
Unlike the ITE / Gigabyte controller which is absolutely stupid the

Intel
one is smart enought to see and run with ordinary non raid discs. You

should
install the intel RAID drivers under XP in this config.

IE when the intel SATA controller is configured as RAID you can boot of

it,
if it is not, it has to be set to IDEx to boot and that removes the real
IDEx from your machine.

Clear?

BTW: when you look at the mobo in a tower case with the PCI's on the

left,
CPU towards the top, the SATA0_SB connector is the 'top right' one.

- Tim

"Orhan" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I have a Maxtor 120GB SATA HDD and GA-8KNXP motherboard. I configured
SATA Port0 as IDE Pri. Master in BIOS, because I couldn't install XP
when remapped this to SATA0 (XP installer can't find my HDD).
How can I use my HDD as a SATA drive and not as PATA (DMA100)-without
crashing my system- ? I run a dual boot system (98SE+XP) and it works
fine except that SATA problem.
There is no SATA option available under Boot Order in BIOS (anyhow
disappeared!)
I am not sure,which connector did I connect my SATA drive to. But I
think, to SATA0-SB. Is there any difference?
Gigabyte Technical Support says I should upgrade my F5 BIOS to F6.
Would that be a solution for me? In User's Manual of GA-8KNXP I read
that this port must be remapped to SATA0 when running XP or later OS
only. What if dual booting? And why didn't XP find my SATA HDD?
What is the right setting for BIOS?
I would be grateful for any helps.

Orhan