Old January 11th 05, 09:38 AM
Robert Megee

There are failings in these analogies. An issue with a motherboard is like
an issue with the engine in a car. Ordinary consumers are on their own if
they want to build a hot rod and replace the stock engine or add a
supercharger.

To comment on your analogy, if this were the engine in a car it is
stock. If it had a problem that happened during the warrantee period,
yes I would expect the manufacturer to change out the engine. And
they would.
That is my advice: Start again with the details, and don't bother asus -
they get spammed hugely. You might have to RMA, but if you work through
things systematically, you are more likely to sail straight through. There
are few motherboard manufacturers that can afford the staff to provide the
level of service you and others want - those that do include the cost for
the service in the product & that is why asus (and others) produce high
quality products at *competitive* prices. You can always pay more next time.

I've proven that the problem has to be with the motherboard. Maybe a
setting but Asus has tried to help with that. I'm only asking them to
honor their warrantee. Don't kid yourself. Asus is in business to
make money. They need to be subject to the same quality requirements
for their products as any other company.
Both the possible fixes that I have picked-up from reading this forum
deal with a setting for the motherboard. Asus support has volumes of
data about my system and should have recommended these possibilities
if they are viable. I assume that cutting legacy usb support means
that it won't work for usb 1.0. Well, that eliminates my digital
camera. I'm willing to try this to see if it's a solution but it
shouldn't be necessary. Actually Asus seems to be one of the more
expensive motherboards that I've been exposed to. Various review labs
have recommended it as one of the best is why I've used them. Do you
know of a motherboard that is better even if more expensive? Like the
good scientist that I am, I will continue to examine the possibilities
as to the cause of this problem.

Robert

Robert