Old December 14th 04, 06:31 AM
Paul

In article , wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 06:45:31 -0500,
(Paul) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 05:26:44 -0500,
(Paul) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Asus P4P800 Deluxe -

---snip

snip...again...lol

Ya, so the monitors I am reading are what is supplied to the
slot...and I am running in dual channel mode as well.

Even if I did get a reading off of the slot, what would be an
exceptable votage drop? But even if there was a voltage drop, I guess
it would explain the one card choking. Which still leaves the question
as to why the cards are failing after an average of...4.5 months ? If
this were the case, than the tolerance's on the GPU to reduce the
voltage are not able to handle the possible fluctuations of the power
supply, which maybe over the threshold allowed anyway...yes ? Hmmm...

If time allows it, I will try to monitor the voltages as you described
and I am going to purchase a new psu for safe measure.

Your explanations seem very technical, which would indicate to me you
are in a field of electronics. I certain appreciate the challenge of
deciphering through your replies...

Regards,

ñíñjà¤têç

There are multiple VDDQ_1.5 pins, so there really shouldn't
be a measureable drop caused by the connector. What you see
on the card side should be the same as the copper on the
motherboard that carries the 1.5V power.

Chips are intolerant to too high a voltage. Too low a voltage
should just result in the board crashing or applications
erroring out (like a 3D game quitting unexpectedly). With
too high a voltage, the circuit will still function properly,
but it will be under a life shortening stress.

I still think you aren't going to know for sure what is going
on, without measuring at the socket, as at least there, you've
got a pinout in the AGP30 spec to work with. A supply problem
is certainly the easiest to visualize as the source of the
trouble, but even one messed up signal on the interface could
do it. That is why, at some point, an RMA might be the only
way to solve the dilemma, and give you some peace of mind.

HTH,
Paul