Old December 22nd 03, 09:23 AM
thegroover

Thanks to all who have replied thus far...I've tried alternating the
memory sticks but his makes no difference. Also there are no USB
devices to unplug . Guess I'm still trying to understand why there's
no message re. FDD not being found.

(thegroover) wrote in message . com...
Hi,

Can anyone shed any light on this problem?, full description
below...I'm tending to think the board is seriously faulty, but maybe
I'm missing something fundamental....any help/suggestions greatl
appreciated...

System:

Motherboard: Asus P4C800 Deluxe
Processor: Intel pentium 4 2.8GHz, 533MHz, 512 L2 Cach, 478pin PGA
Memory: Kingston 512MB, KHX2700K2/512
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Serial AA 80GB
Video card: Sapphire ATI Radeon 7000 64MB DDR AGP
CDROM: Samsung SD-616QBB DVDROM

Symptoms:

Essentially the system doesn't boot and I cannot enter bios - I've
described the sequence of events below, firstly just powering up and
secondly powering whilts holding DEL to try to access BIOS.....

On power up,

1] ASUS welcome screen seen

2] Then changes to FastTrack Bios screen:
- FastTrack378 BIOS etc.
- Scanning IDE Drives.....
- No drives attached to FastTrack controller,BIOS not installed...

3] American Megatrends logo
- Fatal Error...System Halted.

On power up, holding DEL down in order to enter BIOS:

1] ASUS welcome screen seen

2] American Megatrends logo
Messages:
- AMI BIOS
- CPU detected correctly
- Memory detected correctly

3] Then changes to FastTrack Bios screen:
- FastTrack378 BIOS etc.
- Scanning IDE Drives.....
- No drives attached to FastTrack controller, BIOS not installed...

4] Final screen:

Entering SETUP...
Press F8 for BBS POPUP
DDR Frequency 333MHz, Dual Channel, Linear Mode
Checking NVRAM...

512MB OK

Auto-Detecting Pri Master..ATAPI CD-ROM
Auto-Detecting 3rd Master..IDE Hard Disk
Pri Master..SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616Q F403
Ultra DMA Mode-2
3rd Master: ST380013AS 3.05
Ultra DMA Mode-5, S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status OK
Auto-detecting USB Mass Storage Devices ..
00 USB mass storage devices found and configured.

Fatal Error... System Halted.

Other symptoms a

Floppy not detected
CDROM is detected
HDD is detected
Keyboard is detected but inactive i.e. Ctrl-Alt-Del has no effect once
the 'Fatal Error...' mesage is seen.

Action taken:
Floppy and floppy cable replaced - no difference
Keyboad replaced - no difference
Video card replaced - no difference
Can't boot from floppy or flash the bio as floppy does not respond