Old December 21st 03, 07:23 PM
thegroover

Default Cannot boot P4C800 Deluxe, cannot get into BIOS, Fatal Error....

Hi,

Can anyone shed any light on this problem?, full description
below...I'm tending to think the board is seriously faulty, but maybe
I'm missing something fundamental....any help/suggestions greatl
appreciated...

System:

Motherboard: Asus P4C800 Deluxe
Processor: Intel pentium 4 2.8GHz, 533MHz, 512 L2 Cach, 478pin PGA
Memory: Kingston 512MB, KHX2700K2/512
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Serial AA 80GB
Video card: Sapphire ATI Radeon 7000 64MB DDR AGP
CDROM: Samsung SD-616QBB DVDROM

Symptoms:

Essentially the system doesn't boot and I cannot enter bios - I've
described the sequence of events below, firstly just powering up and
secondly powering whilts holding DEL to try to access BIOS.....

On power up,

1] ASUS welcome screen seen

2] Then changes to FastTrack Bios screen:
- FastTrack378 BIOS etc.
- Scanning IDE Drives.....
- No drives attached to FastTrack controller,BIOS not installed...

3] American Megatrends logo
- Fatal Error...System Halted.

On power up, holding DEL down in order to enter BIOS:

1] ASUS welcome screen seen

2] American Megatrends logo
Messages:
- AMI BIOS
- CPU detected correctly
- Memory detected correctly

3] Then changes to FastTrack Bios screen:
- FastTrack378 BIOS etc.
- Scanning IDE Drives.....
- No drives attached to FastTrack controller, BIOS not installed...

4] Final screen:

Entering SETUP...
Press F8 for BBS POPUP
DDR Frequency 333MHz, Dual Channel, Linear Mode
Checking NVRAM...

512MB OK

Auto-Detecting Pri Master..ATAPI CD-ROM
Auto-Detecting 3rd Master..IDE Hard Disk
Pri Master..SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616Q F403
Ultra DMA Mode-2
3rd Master: ST380013AS 3.05
Ultra DMA Mode-5, S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status OK
Auto-detecting USB Mass Storage Devices ..
00 USB mass storage devices found and configured.

Fatal Error... System Halted.

Other symptoms a

Floppy not detected
CDROM is detected
HDD is detected
Keyboard is detected but inactive i.e. Ctrl-Alt-Del has no effect once
the 'Fatal Error...' mesage is seen.

Action taken:
Floppy and floppy cable replaced - no difference
Keyboad replaced - no difference
Video card replaced - no difference
Can't boot from floppy or flash the bio as floppy does not respond