Old August 28th 14, 05:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
R. Mark Clayton

Default Power requirement for H97-D3H motherboard

"Haines Brown" wrote in message
Paul writes:

Haines Brown wrote:
I expect to purchase this motherboard, but am unsure about whether I can
use an Enermax 450 Watt power supply I happen to have in hand. I don't
plan to overclock the board or use it for gaming. The cards are likely
to be a modest audio and wifi card, and there will be one or two SATA
hard disks. The audio card is because the onboard audio chip is reported
to be flakey with the Linux OS.

Thank you for your very interesting and informative reply. I did the
best I could to estimate power requirements and came up with 350W. I
suppose 450 Watt power supply could handle it, although it would leave
little breathing room. I suppose one should have a power supply
significantly larger, but since I have a new 450W supply in hand, I'd
like to try using it.

Should be ample - remember not everything is going to run at max power at
the same time.

Efficiency should be good too.

What happens when demand is a bit too much for a power supply? Would
rail voltages begin to drop, or will the supply shut itself down before
that occurs?

It would tend to overheat first and then stop on thermal cut out.

Haines