Old June 21st 06, 05:17 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default How many RAID arrays on a single controller?

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 20:17:44 GMT, Marco De Vitis
wrote:

Hi,
I feel it might be a stupid question, but... do all RAID controllers
only handle a single array?

No

Say, for example, that you need to build a 4-disk RAID 5 array and a
4-disk RAID 0 array, both on the same machine working simultaneously; do
you necessarily have to use TWO separate controllers (offering at least
4 ports each),

No

or are there 8-port controllers which can handle both
arrays at the same time "separating" somehow their ports into two
different sets?

Yes.

Thanks.

PS: I'm particularly interested in SATA RAID controllers, but I believe
my question is more generic anyway.

Different controllers have different capabilities. Read the manual of
whatever prospective card you are looking to purchase. IIRC even
cheap Hostraid cards & ROMB can do this so big bucks are not a
requirement.