Old November 24th 06, 11:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
William

Default How do I get this P5W DH to turn on when power is applied without the remote control installed?

"Mitch Crane" -three wrote in message
"William" wrote in
:

Anyway, I have been unable to get this mobo to start up when power
is applied. I have set the bios for this, but nothing happens.
Apparently I must have the remote control software installed for
this feature to work. But, I don't want to install this software.
What can I do?

Do you mean you want it to start up when you plug it in or flip the PSU
on/off switch? That wouldn't be related to the remote. Since you're
talking about the remote, I assume you mean when the power button on the
remote is pressed. If what you want to do is turn the computer on using
the remote then you need to plug it into the correct port.

With regard to your no-video problem, as I recall, the remote can instead
of turning your PC off put it into hibernate mode. If that's what
happened then its not an uncommon problem for the video to fail to
comeback from hibernate. I'm not sure if this would be a BIOS problem or
a driver problem or something else.

Mitch:

I just want the computer to power up when I turn on the power strip that
feeds all my printers, scanner, monitors, and the computer. Nothing fancy.
Always had this before, and want it now.

Last week, I couldn't get this feature to work until after installing the
remote hardware and control software. After which each time I turned the
computer on, I would get a pop-up window informing me that I needed to setup
the remote control for start up after the restore of power. I did this and
it worked just like it should. (That is after I had to reset the bios after
loosing my video to my monitors).

It's just that I am not going to use this remote. So I would like to remove
its receiver and software and go without running it. One less TSR
(terminate and stay ready) program running in the background, freeing up
resources, one more USB port on the back of the cpu case. One less doggle
hanging off of my case.

It's beginning to look like I --HAVE TO-- use the remote control to obtain
this simple feature. But I don't want to. Kick kick, shuffle back and
fourth. Can't I just leave the remote control in the box and get my computer
to turn on after power on?

William