Old September 3rd 06, 06:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

Default 1st PC build

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote
wrote

I am planning to build my first computer. It will mainly serve as a gaming
computer, as well a school tool. The OS will be Windows XP Pro (from
my old computer). Here are my core components, first revision:

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition
AMD 64 X2 5000+ Windsor
Geforce 7950GT KO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Segate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA (x2)
RAID 0 configuration
Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) System Memory
(x2) NEC DVD+R 3550A
Samsung 204B
NeoPower 550W
Antec P-180B Case
Logitech MX1000
Logitech G15

Do you think that all these pieces will function well together?
Here is a list of the games that I would like to play on it: Rise
of Nations, Rise of Legends, Civilization 4, Command and Conquer:
The First Decade, Command and Conquer 3 (when it comes out), and
Star Wars: Empire at War. My price window is $2100 - 2400.

I've never been fond of wireless keyboards and mice
because of the basic need to keep them powered.

Completely routine when they are properly designed.

Routine if properly designed. Still annoying to change
the battery when you really have better things to do.

With a properly designed system, you dont have to ever change
the batterys, you just put the mouse in the charger overnight etc.

Some allow you to plug the charger cable into the mouse,
so at worst its the same as a wired mouse when charging,
and you have the freedom of a wireless mouse when its not.

And a properly designed system gives heaps of warning
about the battery so you can go all day with the battery
warning led flashing and just put it in the charger that
evening when you have finished using it too.

Even if it takes 10 seconds, it's simply not an issue with a
wired keyboard. And 10 seconds means something in games.

Anyone with a clue checks the battery status before starting
the game, and see above on the low battery status anyway.

And because they're less reliable than wired keyboards,

Pure drivel.

EVERYTHING wireless is vunelrable to inteferece and limits of range.

In theory, yes. In practice that range is so much more
than you need with a keyboard and mouse that its just
not a problem with a properly designed system. The
bluetooth mice and keyboards have so much excess range that
the problem is still being able to see the monitor, not dropouts.

Cell phones are less reliable than land lines, cable is more reliable
than rabbit ears and sattellite. Reliability is sacrificed to portability.

Not with a properly designed wireless mouse and keyboard it isnt.

Wired keyboards just work. Wireless ones have to be babysat.

Only if you are stupid enough to buy ****. He wasnt asking about ****.

and that's NOT a good thing in gameplay.
Interference, low battery, and so on.

Completely trivial to ensure you cant get a low battery when it matters.

Babysitting that is completely unnecessiary with a wired system.

Even someone as stupid as you should be able to manage with a system
that gives you a full day warning of the battery needing to be charged.

Also, there are a small handful of games that actually support the LCD
thing on your keyboard. And most of those need a patch applied first.

http://www.logitech.com/promotions/p...tentid=1126 4

Maybe he doesnt care with games.

He still needs to be informed.

No he doesnt necessarily with games, because there is the monitor too.

Why pay for the LCD screen when he can't use it?

You aint established that he cant use it with future games.

It's a hundred dollar keyboard. And a $50 mouse. You can
get wired ones MUCH cheaper, and not have to maintain them
or change their diapers, put them to bed or any such nonsense.

Even someone as stupid as you should be able to handle the charging.

A black Usb keyboard has be had for $10-$25, even under $5.
A mouse can be had for next to nothing.

http://www.provantage.com/kensington-64370~7KNSK00L.htm
http://www.onsale.com/shop/detail.as..._id=bwbfroogle

Only a fool uses a non optical mouse.

And you may have not noticed, but Games
are his primary reason for having the system.

Irrelevant to whether he actually needs the LCD display with all games.

I haven't turned up any obvious hardware incompatibilities. The
budget is your own problem to solve, though avoid tiger direct.
There have been multiple complaints on these newsgroups and other
forums. I don't know which, if any of your products are being
offered there, but just in case....

Other than my preference to lose the wireless keyboard
and mouse, you've got a respectable system. Some
people swear by wireless mice, I just swear AT them.

More fool you, there are plenty of decent ones around.

After the first couple I tried, I've encountered
the same issues over and over again.

You should have had enough of a clue to get a decent one in the first place.

And trying the same thing over and over again
and expecting different results is just dumb.

Even someone a stupid as you should have noticed that there
must be decently designed wireless mice and keyboards around.

Multiple computers in proximity with same brand mouse:

Handled fine by properly designed systems.

And you aint established that that is relevant to him anyway.

problem, dead battery;

You get plenty of warning of battery charging with a properly designed
system and you dont even need that if you put it on the charger every night.

problem, having to press the reset button: problem.

How odd that I never need to do that. Might just be because I have a
properly designed Logitech and arent stupid enough to buy cheap ****.

Other wireless devices may intefere, and reduce
the effective range of the mouse/ keyboard: problem.

Doesnt happen with a properly designed system. I have hordes
of other wireless devices and dont get any problem like that at all.

Pluging in a keyboard and watching it Just Work is by far
more reliable, with virtually no maintinence, AND cheaper.

Pity about when the cable fails.

Pity about the babysitting that inevitable with a non optical mouse.

And wireless mice and keyboards AREN'T that wireless,

You obviously have never used one that is properly designed.

you still have to plug in a sending unit,

Even you should be able to manage to do that, if someone was actually
stupid enough to lend you a seeing eye dog and a white cane.

often a bulky, ackward one.

Anyone with a clue uses a mouse that drops into a charger.
Its no bigger than the mouse, let alone the keyboard, stupid.

Recent ones have improved, but not enough.

Wrong, as always.

If you're happy with yours, I won't make you change them.

You wont make anyone do anything you egotistic clown.

But chosing between cheap technology with no maintainence,

Lie with a non optical mouse.

and expensive, and less reliable techology with high maintainence

Lie with a decent designed system.

and few, if any benefits,

Another silly lie.

is a no-brainer.

You're the no brainer, nothing viable between the ears.