Old September 3rd 06, 10:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

Default 1st PC build

Hey Guys,

I am planning to build my first computer. It will mainly serve as a
gaming computer, as well a school tool. The OS will be Windows XP Pro
(from my old computer). Here are my core components, first revision:

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition
AMD 64 X2 5000+ Windsor
Geforce 7950GT KO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Segate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA (x2)
RAID 0 configuration
Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) System Memory
(x2) NEC DVD+R 3550A
Samsung 204B
NeoPower 550W
Antec P-180B Case
Logitech MX1000
Logitech G15

Do you think that all these pieces will function well together? Here
is a list of the games that I would like to play on it: Rise of
Nations, Rise of Legends, Civilization 4, Command and Conquer: The
First Decade, Command and Conquer 3 (when it comes out), and Star
Wars: Empire at War. My price window is $2100 - 2400. Thanks for the
help.

I've never been fond of wireless keyboards and mice
because of the basic need to keep them powered.

Completely routine when they are properly designed.

And because they're less reliable than wired keyboards,

Pure drivel.

and that's NOT a good thing in gameplay.
Interference, low battery, and so on.

Completely trivial to ensure you cant get a low battery when it matters.

Also, there are a small handful of games that actually support the LCD
thing on your keyboard. And most of those need a patch applied first.

http://www.logitech.com/promotions/p...tentid=1126 4

Maybe he doesnt care with games.

I haven't turned up any obvious hardware incompatibilities. The
budget is your own problem to solve, though avoid tiger direct. There
have been multiple complaints on these newsgroups and other forums. I
don't know which, if any of your products are being offered there,
but just in case....

Other than my preference to lose the wireless keyboard
and mouse, you've got a respectable system. Some
people swear by wireless mice, I just swear AT them.

More fool you, there are plenty of decent ones around.