Old June 20th 06, 02:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Fedora Core 5 on Compaq Proliant 2500

The FC5 install is failing on me before I ever get to the "test the
media" level. The only opportunity I have to interact with it is at
the linux prompt. That's where I used the "exactmem" commands.

After that, it prepares to install for about 1 minute and hangs.

The optical drive in the system is a newer HP CD/RW. I was actually
thinking about backing it down to a standard CD-ROM before I got RH9 to
load to see if my problem was too much drive as opposed to too little.

You're the first I've seen who said they were actually able to install
FC5 on a 2500. That's good news. Mine has dual PPro 200 CPUs and
320MB of RAM.

I ran XWindows last night and it worked great, but when I logged out, I
got an error that the system had crashed out of the interface and it
hung up the system.

Now that I'm on RH9, I ran an apt update/upgrade and d/l 161 updates.
That took nearly an hour, so I went to bed. Tonight I plan to attempt
a kernal upgrade. Then I want to begin the RH9 to FC1 upgrade.

Steve

NewsReader wrote:
I have installed FC5 on a 2500. A few things to watch

1. Make sure you use the memory statements as described in other postings

2. Make sure you do the system erase as described etc..

3. Test each of the FC5 discs using the CDROM drive you are going to
install from. The FC5 disks are larger (more data) than previous FC
releases and I have seen a number of early CDROM drives that will fail
to read all the data. If you can't read part of the disc and need what's
on it you'll get a failed installation - happened to me with a DL360
(IDE drive) and a set of FC5 discs which worked perfectly on another system.