Old June 20th 06, 05:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Fedora Core 5 on Compaq Proliant 2500

OK, Fedora Core and I were at odds this evening. I decided to turn the
tables

1) I ran SmartStart to begin from scratch.
2) I found my old Redhat Linux 9 CDs.
3) I booted to CD #1
4) At the install prompt, (after a couple of mis-steps) I typed "linux
mem=exactmap mem=640k@0m mem=128M@1m"
5) I was pleased to see that no errors came up. The install began and
I did a custom install of RH9.

I must've made 1 mistake however. At the end, the install recommended
I make a boot diskette, which I did. When I restarted, the server
wouldn't boot to the hard disk. When I put the diskette in, it booted
to a prompt. I re-typed "linux mem=exactmap mem=640k@0m mem=128M@1m"
at the prompt, and up it came. I was able to log in as root.

Then I edited my grub.conf file to include the "mem" stuff in the
kernal line.

I have now downloaded apt and am doing an upgrade of RH9. Tomorrow, I
am going to try to figure out why I can't boot to the hard disk. Once
that is resolved, I will begin attempting to upgrade to FC1 and then
work my way up to FC5. There seem to be some good instructions on the
web for that process.

Thabks again for the help!

Steve