Old February 2nd 17, 07:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default Used motherboard?

Kenny wrote:
HP DM1-4004SA freezing etc. then eventually wouldn't boot at all. Signs
of CPU overheating or m/b failure, CPU fan clean and running. Seems to
be a common fault with these!
Not much in the way of this m/b on Ebay but seems to be plenty here with
widely varying prices:
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...ext=659511-001

I've never bought from these Chinese sites before, can I have faith in
their assurance that the item is working and their warranty is genuine?
Also would I be liable for import duty or similar?

Kenny Cargill

Ooo, this looks easy. Only 38 steps.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/how-to...on-dm1-laptop/

The processor (E-450) could be soldered down,
and not in a ZIF socket. Makes no difference.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/k5EAAO...41/s-l1600.jpg

Someone wants $15 for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-HP-D...-/282210643642

I think I'd want to study the problem some more,
before committing to a repair like that. I'd want
to boot an alternate OS (a Linux LiveCD) and see
if it works any better. If that's an eMMC drive in
the socket, I might want to swap in a spare
and retest. Maybe a defect in the eMMC flash is
making it "slow".

To boot a Linux LiveCD, you can transfer it to a
USB flash stick. Hybrid images, all you have to do
is a sector-by-sector transfer. No need for unetbootin.

Paul