Old April 14th 04, 02:14 AM

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:28:26 +0000, teqguy wrote:

Because most well known manufacturers will eventually stop carrying AGP
cards all together.

Eventually, yes, but AGP will be with us well into next year. DDR2 will
replace DDR1. Socket 939 will replace socket 940, Socket T will replace
Socket 728, BTX will eventually replace ATX, the list goes on in the never
ending upgrade cycle.

Having one version of a product cuts down on confusion and returns,
which helps both consumers and retail sales.

Absolutely, and I'm sure that the likes of ATI and Nvidia as
well as the motherboard makers will push us to PCI Express as soon as they
can. But it would be suicide for one of them to bring out a new card and
only cater for those who are prepared to buy new motherboards. It's just
the poster I replied to implied that there would be an immediate need to
replace your motherboard, which is clearly not the case.

I have a gut feeling that PCI Express will do very little for performance,
just like AGP before it. Nothing can substitute lots of fast RAM on the
videocard to prevent shipping textures across to the much
slower system RAM. You could have the fastest interface imaginable for
your vid card; it would do little to make up for the bottleneck that
is your main memory.