Old September 18th 05, 08:53 PM
Nicholas Andrade

johnny wrote:

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:57:00 +0000, Nicholas Andrade wrote:

MZB wrote:

If I travel with my new Inspiron, how do I go thru airport security?? Can I
let the machine go thru the x-ray or do they inspect it manually??

Mel (new to laptops)

99% of the time all they ask is for you to take the laptop out of the
bag its in (assuming you're carrying it with you) and put it in one of
the boxes (usually by itself) to go through the X-ray machine (it will
be fine). Every so often they swab it for residue of chemicals that can
be used for bombs, etc. This is under the presumption you're referring
to security at US airports.

It usually goes through the same process at foreign terminals also. But,
it's rare to see the laptop case get swabbed. I have had to turn on the
laptop but that was only twice in the past 5 years.

I've had it swabbed twice in the last four years (since Sept. 11, 2001)
out of roughly 50 or so domestic flights (~4% of the time); it's not a
big deal at all -- only takes a second.