Old September 10th 03, 07:24 PM
David D.

The 8KNXP seems quite quirky to set up if you want to boot off the
SATA and also have drives plugged into IDE1. The solution saying to
set "SATA Port0 Configure as" to IDE Pri. Master might work, but you
will run into problems if you then actually want to use the Primary
IDE connector later. One thing you are going to need to do is set
"SATA RAID Function" to Enabled (even if you're not doing RAID). I've
also found that until Windows has the SATA drivers installed in
Windows, it won't boot off an SATA drive unless you have nothing
plugged into IDE1. I just went through this last night so maybe some
of this will help. Note: I don't use RAID at all.

Drives in my system:
200GB SATA drive in SATA channel 1 (Boot drive)
80GB PATA drive in IDE1 Master
40GB PATA drive in IDE1 Slave
DVD ATAPI drive in IDE2 Master
CD ATAPI drive in IDE2 Slave
18 GB PATA drive in IDE3 Master
Zip PATA drive in IDE4 Master

BIOS: (F6)
On-Chip Primary PCI IDE = Enabled
On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE = Enabled
On-Chip SATA = Manual
SATA Port0 Configure as = SATA Port0
SATA RAID Function = Enabled
Onboard H/W SATA = Enabled
Serial ATA function = Base
GigaRaid Function = ATA

Notes:
* While installing windows XP, I must unplug the IDE1 cable otherwise
the SATA drive will not be seen. This is true even if I install the
ICH drivers off a floppy using F6 during install, and even though the
BIOS reports all the drives just fine. After Windows is installed and
the drivers installed off the Gigabyte CD, I can then plug IDE1 back
in and everything is just hunky-dory.

Dave

Michael Len wrote in message . cable.rogers.com...
Try setting "SATA Port0 Configure as" to IDE Pri. Master. I find that
if it is set to SATA Port0 my SATA HD does not get detected.

klausa2 wrote:
Hi,

I have a PATA drive connected to IDE0 master, and one SATA connected
to ICH5R, SATA 0. Both have a bootable W2K partition and boot well if
only on is present. But if both drives are connected the pc alway
boots from the PATA drive. How can I change that? I set OnChip SATA
manual, to SATA0, Raid disabled,. onboard GigaRAID and Onboard SATA
disabled. Bottorder1. floppy, 2. cdrom, 3 HDD-0. There seems to be no
SATA in the bootorder, not even a SATA-RAID or PATA-Raid. Any ideas?
TIA - Klaus