Old August 8th 04, 08:44 PM
Derek Baker

Jason Cothran wrote:
"Derek Baker" wrote in message
George Hizinwak wrote:
"Mike B" wrote in message
news:wFkRc.227126$IQ4.181152@attbi_s02...
My new athlon XP system just got fried..

I have some questions. I've heard the Athlon64 3200+ can beat a P4
3.2 EE in
most tests. Is this true, and is there any reason why one would buy
the P4 over the A64 other than bias?

Also, i'm a bit confused now.. I see A64 3200+ listed at
pricewatch.. some are listed as 1600mhz, and some listed at 2.2ghz.
is the 1600mhz just describing the fsb? and do they all run at
2.2ghz?

Lastly, i see there are some that have 1mb of cache as apposed to
512 for around the same price. Is there a catch that i'm missing?

--
www.geocities.com/mtb2k -personal website

Mike, your best bet would be to get an AMD XP 3500 939pin cpu, with
a 939pin based motherboard. This way you can get up to 4gigs of
DDRAM without losing speed. This combo uses Dual memory channel
while the 754 design uses single memory channel and thus when you
use the 3rd DIMM slot the memory slows down.

When you say slows down, what are you referring to: clock speed or
timings?

Latency slow downs associated with ECC registered RAM is what is
likely talking about.

Or possibly that some motherboards fall back to DDR333 with three DIMMs, for
example the K8N-E Deluxe that I also considered, and rejected for that
reason.

--
Derek