Old August 4th 04, 02:24 AM
Jason Cothran

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
news | On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 06:29:40 +0000, Randy Howard wrote:

| In article ,

| says...
| I'm thinking about getting an HP zv5000z series notebook with an Athlon
64
| 3400+.
|
| Good choice.
|
| Does anyone in the NG have one of these, how do you like it?
|
| It's very nice, particularly as a portable 64-bit porting platform.
|
| Also are there any Linux compatibility problems?
|
| It seems to run SuSE 9.1 Pro 64-bit without a hitch. I haven't
| tried any other distributions.
|
| One final question, I vaguely recall reading something about HP selling
| systems with a castrated AMD64 that only operated in 32 bit mode.
|
| Sounds more like some of the early Intel EM64t "Nocona-ready" boxes that
| are technically capable of 64-bit, but being sold with 32-bit CPUs.
|
| Does anyone know if the processors in the zv5000z are proper Athlon
64s?

| The HP zv5000 is definitely 64-bit, but it only has one. :-)
|
| Only word of caution, DO NOT get the 1900xwhatever display. It's way
too
| fine pitch for a 15.4 panel, even if you have perfect vision. The
| 1600xwhatever option is much better and $100 less.
|
| Is there any support for the Broadcom wireless card? I was under the
| impression that Broadcom is completely unsupported.

Broadcom provides absolutely 0 support for their wireless cards. They claim
it is the manufacturers' responsibilty since they don't make the cards. As
of now, there are no 64-bit drivers for the Broadcom card. An email from
Broadcom:

Hi Jason,

Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in Broadcom technology.
Broadcom does not sell products directly to end-users and is unable offer
comprehensive support for Broadcom's customers' products. If you are having
a particular problem with a Broadcom-based wireless product, please contact
the PC or wireless device manufacturer directly for support.

Sincerely,
Danny Crouch