Old August 3rd 04, 02:29 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 06:29:40 +0000, Randy Howard wrote:

In article ,
says...
I'm thinking about getting an HP zv5000z series notebook with an Athlon 64
3400+.

Good choice.

Does anyone in the NG have one of these, how do you like it?

It's very nice, particularly as a portable 64-bit porting platform.

Also are there any Linux compatibility problems?

It seems to run SuSE 9.1 Pro 64-bit without a hitch. I haven't
tried any other distributions.

One final question, I vaguely recall reading something about HP selling
systems with a castrated AMD64 that only operated in 32 bit mode.

Sounds more like some of the early Intel EM64t "Nocona-ready" boxes that
are technically capable of 64-bit, but being sold with 32-bit CPUs.

Does anyone know if the processors in the zv5000z are proper Athlon 64s?

The HP zv5000 is definitely 64-bit, but it only has one. :-)

Only word of caution, DO NOT get the 1900xwhatever display. It's way too
fine pitch for a 15.4 panel, even if you have perfect vision. The
1600xwhatever option is much better and $100 less.

Is there any support for the Broadcom wireless card? I was under the
impression that Broadcom is completely unsupported.