Old August 1st 04, 11:58 PM
None

General Schvantzkoph wrote in
news
I'm thinking about getting an HP zv5000z series notebook with an
Athlon 64 3400+. Does anyone in the NG have one of these, how do you
like it?

A friend considered buying it. There are a few wrinkles:

1) The harddrive is only 4800 RPM.
2) The video card, a version of nVidia Go 440 (I think that's the model)
is not getting great reviews. Furthermore, there are reports that it
does not support DirectX. Since you will be using Linux, this does not
affect you. OTOH, there is a petition to get HP to switch over to ATI
cards.

Other than that, it seems to be a very good machine.

Also are there any Linux compatibility problems?

One final question, I vaguely recall reading something about HP
selling systems with a castrated AMD64 that only operated in 32 bit
mode. Does anyone know if the processors in the zv5000z are proper
Athlon 64s?

Hmm, of all the reviews of this machine that I've read (including a few
users), I have not come across this one at all.

Good luck.