Old July 18th 04, 07:21 AM
XS11E

Post Replies Here Please wrote in
:

http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/..._Story-01.html

I'm a big fan of ASUS and was not aware of this.

It's very hard for me to understand the article. They talk about using
a K8V SE Deluxe motherboard which is what I have. Mandrake 10, 64bit
RC1 found and installed ALL my hardware including the on-board sound,
on-board NIC, etc.

FWIW, MB = ASUS K8V SE Deluxe with latest BIOS and AMD64 3400 chip.
Video card is ATI Radeon 7000. 1Gig (2 500MB sticks) of Fry's cheapest
3600 DDR RAM. Canon S900 Photo Printer, HP LaserJet 6L, Microtek V6upl
scanner connected via USB2 port. HP DVD Writer 200i, LG DVD ROM.

The on-board sound is SoundMax Integrated Digatal Audio and the LAN is
Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Base-T adaptor, Copper RJ-
45.

No problems with any of this. Conclusion, WTF is he talking about?

I have also installed Fedora 64bit which did have a problem with my
sound card, SuSE 64bit which had NO problems and Linspire (formerly
Lindows) which installed all the hardware with no problems.

Again, WTF is he talking about?

BTW, ASUS has NO need or requirement to supply drivers for ANY OS and
never has.

Windows XP is running on the same system using drivers supplied by the
manufacturers of the sound card and LAN, NOT drivers by ASUS. The
drivers that run the sound card and LAN in Linux are supplied by
various folks in the open source community or possibly by the same
manufacturers who supplied the drivers for Windows XP so.....

The total article is pure, unadulterated horsepucky from someone who
has no idea of what he/she/it is talking about.