Old July 12th 04, 09:58 AM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 07:13:40 +0000, johny wrote:

AMD 64 3200 - Idling at 65 degress
Just build A64 2800+ system on MSI K8T Neo FISR MB. Same problem as Jason
has. Idling at 63C, loaded at max 77C! Yes it is the new processor with
NewCastle core, Family F Model C Stepping 0. In the store where I bought the
hardware, I was told that its the problem with the new NewCastle core
reporting the temps incorrectly. If it wasn't so, and the actual die temp
was 77C, wouldn't my cpu be dead already?

Nope it would have shut off. This I know from yesterday. Flashed a new
bios, rebooted and noticed temps climbing. Figuring the new bios was
screwed up I watched it a while. When it got pretty high after a while I
took the side cover off and saw that my cpu fan wasn't on. I played with
it a while trying to get it to work, then started some bad smells. The
machine shut down within a few seconds. Replaced the fan and running
again. The fan was a TMD fan. That's either 2 or 3 that I've had die on me
before they were a year old. It will be my last.

Coaimhghin says:
The AMD64 will 'shut down' if the core temperature exceeds 70C to prevent
damage, if your system is stable it isn't over heating.

Okay, where does this "overheating protection" read the temperature from? Is
there some OnDie sensor for overheating protection that we can't get reading
from?

It's an internal circuit that you can't monitor afaik.

If the overheating temperature exists and functions properly, shouldn't
I be able to remove my HSF from the CPU completely and watch the system
shut down automaticaly in few minutes? AMD Product Spec says Max Die
temp can be 85C.

Yep. Even though mine did shutdown on it's own, I wouldn't want to test it
again.:-)