Old July 12th 04, 08:13 AM
johny

AMD 64 3200 - Idling at 65 degress
Just build A64 2800+ system on MSI K8T Neo FISR MB. Same problem as Jason
has. Idling at 63C, loaded at max 77C! Yes it is the new processor with
NewCastle core, Family F Model C Stepping 0. In the store where I bought the
hardware, I was told that its the problem with the new NewCastle core
reporting the temps incorrectly. If it wasn't so, and the actual die temp
was 77C, wouldn't my cpu be dead already?
Coaimhghin says:
The AMD64 will 'shut down' if the core temperature exceeds 70C to prevent
damage, if your system is stable it isn't over heating.

Okay, where does this "overheating protection" read the temperature from? Is
there some OnDie sensor for overheating protection that we can't get reading
from?

If the overheating temperature exists and functions properly, shouldn't I be
able to remove my HSF from the CPU completely and watch the system shut down
automaticaly in few minutes? AMD Product Spec says Max Die temp can be 85C.

Just updated the BIOS to latest revision, it doesn't fix the problem.

Okay, anybody has the same problem, solution to this problem or answers to
my questions, any help is much appreciated.

"Caoimhghin" wrote in
message ...

"Jason" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

Another temperature related question. Reading back through this group
I can see there has been much discussion regarding this. Anyway I
have an AMD 64 3200 with a Gigabyte K8NS Pro motherboard and the CPU
runs at 60-65 degrees when nothing (apart from windows) is running.
Give the CPU something to think about and it reaches 75 degrees.

My question is simple - should I be worried about these kind of
temperatures?

Kind Regards,

Jason

Use a program like CPU-Z to verify which AMD64 you have, if it's the

latest
Newcastle core, i.e. Family=F, Model=C, Stepping=0 then there is a known
temperature monitoring issue with the motherboard BIOS, as far as I know
this affects all K8 motherboards. Some motherboard manufacturers like

Abit
have already addressed this problem and the temperatures are showing

around
20C less.

The AMD64 will 'shut down' if the core temperature exceeds 70C to prevent
damage, if your system is stable it isn't over heating. You should check

in
a Gigabyte forum to see if others are experiencing similar problems and

get
Gigabyte to address the problem.