Old July 11th 04, 03:31 PM
cheap_bastard

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 22:48:37 -0400, shodedo
wrote:

Hello all, I am looking to spend around $400 on a cpu/motherboard
bundle. I will be running gentoo linux with an nvidia card so I am
assuming a motherboard with an nforce3 250 chipset is preferrable... Are
there any good reasons for spending the extra $50 or so for the 3200+
over the 3000+ (besides just speed)? I would prefer the 3200+ but I
think the extra money I'd save from buying the 3000+ I could use to buy
more ram. any constructive comments are appreciated, thanks

I'm not sure what the speeds are for the 3000 and the 3200, but
sometimes AMD calls the same speed cpu a higher level due to a larger
cache size. I think I'd pass on the 3200 if it's only a 3000 with a
larger cache.

They say you can overclock the nforce3 250 boards really high, so pick
up the fastest memory you can get, eg PC4000 or higher.

I think MSI has a nice nforce3 250Gb motherboard out.