Old July 11th 04, 01:40 PM
Ben Pope

shodedo wrote:
Hello all, I am looking to spend around $400 on a cpu/motherboard
bundle. I will be running gentoo linux with an nvidia card so I am
assuming a motherboard with an nforce3 250 chipset is preferrable... Are

Linux support for nForce platform is much better than it used to be, but I
think it's advisable to add:
apic=off noacpi (or should that be noapic acpi=off?).

there any good reasons for spending the extra $50 or so for the 3200+
over the 3000+ (besides just speed)? I would prefer the 3200+ but I
think the extra money I'd save from buying the 3000+ I could use to buy
more ram. any constructive comments are appreciated, thanks

Depends how much RAM you have, how much you're gonna need (based on what you
do with the machine) and how much the components are gonna cost you, I
suppose.

I would recommend a 1GB of RAM for Windows gaming machines, and any
development machine.

Ben