Old May 15th 04, 11:51 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:13:07 +0100, Craig Coope wrote:

I have just phoned up the place I bought the PC from (as my floppy drive and
second DVD drive won't work...although the first DVD drive does)...anyway he
said that my CPU temp is normal and I shouldn't worry unless it reaches
temps of 80C....so I am gonna quit worrying....I may still buy a chassis fan
tho....so any pointers on that will be welcome )

Hmmm... You bought it from them but things don't work, and you're going to
take his word for it.:-)

If my cpu temp ever got to 60C I'd shut it down. There's just no reason to
run it that high. Most cases have at least a spot for an intake fan in the
lower front and at least one exhuast fan in the rear. Since the PSU also
provides an exhaust, if you are only going to put in one fan it should be
an intake fan at the bottom front. And if you cut the metal out that
blocks the airflow in front of the fan you can double the airflow into the
case. I do this to every case I use. And most of the time I also have to
either drill larger holes in the plastic front or cut out some plastic
also to get unrestricted air to the fan. It makes a huge difference, and
it makes the fan quieter too since it's not starving for air and
whining. Short of having decent case cooling, I'd leave the side cover off.