Old April 21st 04, 01:12 PM
Angry American

goblin wrote:
Wes Newell wrote in
newsan.2004.04.21.06.19.08.395272@TAKEOUTverizon .net:

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:25:45 -0500, Wayne Wastier wrote:

I think I probably need to update my PSU, but... my funds are little
short this month, and so I wonder if it will work with my present
PSU.

Antec 300 Watt Model #:PP-303XP
ABIT K8T800 KV8-MAX3 Retail
AMD64 3200+ Retail

I doubt it. Mine wouldn't work on a 400watt that I ran my XP system
on. Not even close. I'm still using it in my XP system though without
a problem. For the 64 system I ordered 3 new PSU's, a 500W, 550W, and
600W. The 500W was a Power Magic and it worked fine as did the others
which were Lead Power. The 500W was $15 shipped from amamax.com. So
if you can scrape up $15 you're in business. The 400W that didn't
work was a Powerline.

http://www.amamax.com/psspecial2fnlp6100e.html

I have a 450W powering a64 3200+, 4 hard drives, cd burner, dvd
burner, wintv card, and usb camera. No problems and almost no heat
either.

You probably don't have a 15 dollar cheap ass PSU either like Wes. You get
what you pay for. Most cheap PSU's ratings are usually junk, and in the real
world a 500 watt PSU would only put out 250 to 300 in normal room
temperatures. PC Power and Cooling is the only way to go for clean as
advertised power. There are two things a person should never skimp on in
building a PC, the PSU, and the Case. The case will be with you for several
systems, so it better be good, and your PSU as well is the "base" of your
system. Get a cheap one, and your system no matter how bad assed will still
be only mediocre. Spend the money on the basics, and your reliability and
satisfaction will be a lot better.

Dan

Dan