Old January 29th 04, 03:58 AM
NuT CrAcKeR

buy the restores for $15 Can, and bring the system back to its original
state. Then, go to work on removing all the extra, un necessary crap that is
on there. Install the applications that you need, cross your fingers and say
penutbutterandpickels 25 times. Walk away and enjoy the rest of your life.

I have also heard that things like this (modem software) problem are common,
and even expected after an FDISK, or new HDD installation.

That is what I would do.

NuTs

"Geekling" wrote in message
om...
"Rod R." wrote in message

Probably because he has an HSP56 MicroModem, the same as what I have.
Driver loads. Works great.

"nut cracker" wrote in message
I feel the guys pain. I have tried to install the drivers for the

conexant
HCF v90 PCI modem that compaq put in the presarios... and they are a

bitch
to get working. I haven't actually been able to get them working yet.

LC

Driver loads, driver installs. Device manager likes it fine. When I
try for mor information, modem can not be found. I have done
everything but spit nickels while doing a strip-tease and that modem
can not be recognized. I tried all modem drivers on the model
5447-Win98SE page. I tried installing the modem driver before the (new
sound card) driver. I tried uninstalling all drivers and rebooting. I
talked to 4 tech.s in the local area and was told that none of them
have had any success with installing all drivers after a fdisk, format
and clean install of the OS. I was also told that as soon as a
non-original piece of equipment or card was installed, driver problems
could not be resolved. Numerous conversations with Compaq personnel
have garnered the information that the modem is a HFC v90, a standard
56k data modem, a HSP 56 Micro-Modem and a couple of other types with
vague descriptions. The local representatives for Compaq have told me
that there is no such thing as a model 5447 and that if I can find a
legitimate model number, they will be delighted to obtain the set of
CDs for complete restoration for the princely sum of $50. Cdn. A
Compaq rep. on the telephone told me that she could send me a set of
recovery disks to restore the computer to factory specs for $15. Cdn.
but that I had to provide a valid credit card.

Numerous repetitions of the above steps in varying order over the last
7 days has not improved my disposition toward brand name computers,
nor has it elicited the results hoped for. the computer is still a
glorified type-writer without access to the internet!

I am anxious to entertain any other suggestions that may move this
project forward., particularly since it is a freeby for a young lady
who could not afford to fix it otherwise.