Old June 28th 03, 02:29 AM
Shepİ

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:16:01 +0100, Whilst playing Smegball with the
scutters "Jeremy Dimmick" wrote :

"Dai" wrote in message
Heya,

I know this is the wrong group but since there was some

intelligent feedback
going on here, figured this would be the best place to ask.

I seem to be having some Sound issues since upgrading to XP.

Sound loops,
sometimes crackling sounds, etc.

[snip]

To be honest, this seems to be very specific to particular hardware
configurations. I had all sorts of crackling problems with an
Audigy 1 on an AMD / VIA system (and it seems to be these systems
that experience these issues most often), but an Audigy 2 is now
running flawlessly on the same system. You here such conflicting
reports from different users that I hesitate to recommend it any
more strongly than to say that it works for me -- and is a damn fine
piece of kit for the money, especially with the breakout box that
comes with the Platinum eX.
jd

What I can say is that the cheap budget Creative Labs PCI 128 cards
have worked with many boards I've installed e.g Via/SiS/Intel and Ali
chip sets and I know consider a little gem of a card especially for
the price.
Although not a flashy card comparing it side by side with a 5.1
digital I still think it has a richer and brighter sound than the
5.1.I'm a little dismayed with this as I bought the 5.1 as
an,"Upgrade" because they have dropped in price but I have to say I'm
not that impressed.I don't use a 5.1 sound system preferring to
line-out to my Hi-Fi when I want a bigger sound so I have no need of
it at the moment.

The drivers have never given me a problem on any chip set and are nice
and simple and robust and don't add any silly bootup entries like the
5.1 and I suspect the Audigy cards may?
Also I found webupdated drivers that gave it hardware Bass And Treble
and some newer software that Creative didn't put on the install Cd
that gives me a wave recorder that can record from all sources
like,"Total Recorder" but better IMHO.

I've gone back to the PCI 128 and removed the 5.1 and may just sell it
on.I'm sure also even with my knowledge that it may have caused some
delays in online gaming which I couldn't fix but this may just be me
not being happy with it :/
All-in all I think creative,"Dropped-the-ball" with the 5.1s and
drivers.I hope the audigy cards don't suffer from this :/

Still miss my old AWE 64grin.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,