Old August 21st 03, 05:47 AM
Timothy Drouillard

When I bought my 8KNXP about a month ago, I bought the MB, a 3.2Ghz retail
cpu and 4 sticks of 512meg ram.
There is nothing special about the ram, it's not Kingston, or Crucial, or
any other name brand.

The part no on each stick shows it as...
PC3200 512MB DDR
P/N: D512M400SA

since I bought it all at one time, the shop assembled the MB/CPU/ram and
fired it up to make sure it worked. It fired up just fine on the bench has
has been running perfectly ever since.

Since I bought 4 sticks at the same time, the shop did pick 4 sticks that
were all from the same lot.

I keep reading about people buying the fancy name brand ram and still seem
to have problems.

This leads some people to get the impression that this board is very picky
about ram.

Maybe it is, maybe it's not. I just wanted to give an example of someone
just using generic DDR400 ram with absolutley no problems.
No tweaking of any kind was needed. Just plug it in and go.
And yes it's running in Dual Channel mode.

"Bob Davis" wrote in message
.. .
I am running Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512's in two matched sets (2gb total)

and
the computer is very stable. However, see my recent post "More on 8KNXP

and
RAM compatibility" where I describe a problem running Memtest86 v3 and an
email from Gigabyte about 2.6v modules being incompatible with the 8KNXP.
These Kingston modules and apparently all Kingston PC3200's are 2.6v, but
although Gigabyte specs show that only 2.5v modules should be used both
Kingston and my vendor (Mwave.com) show these modules as compatible with

the
mobo. Mwave even combines them in their motherboard bundle options.

I'm confused, and although my system is very stable I worry about any

future
problems that may occur from this.

"Ken" wrote in message
Ive got corsair xms 3500C2 memory. Working fine here

Ken

"Lyle Rhodes" wrote in message
t...
I'm thinking of making the leap again... Last time with the GA-8IHXP

and
it
had memory issues... Now I'm looking at the 8KNXP and it appears to

have
issues as well... I read the Kingston 3500 is the way to go and that
Corsair is not... Is that correct??? What other brands should be
considered?

LR