Old April 14th 14, 02:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
John

Default GA-78LMT-USB3, no USB3

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 20:14:06 -0400, John
wrote:

A friend has a system based on a GA-78LMT-USB3 (mobo rev 5.0) and
can't get any of his USB3 ports to work. The USB2s are fine, but the
USB3s, both on the front panel and the back panel, are not.

The ports have power -- when an MP3 player is plugged in, it charges.
But there is no data connectivity. The system (Windows 7, 64-bit)
can't see any device that he plugs in.

I checked the BIOS settings and USB3 is enabled. I tried to reinstall
the USB3 driver (D/L'd from the Gigabyte site) and the installation
failed, saying it could not find the hardware.

I'm thinking he has a hardware problem and he's going to have to
return the box and probably have the mobo replaced. But before he
does that, is there anything else I can try?

Thanks for any suggestions

Reply-to address is real

John

To bring the story to an end:

He accepted the offer to RMA the mobo instead of the whole box and
today we swapped out the board.

All is well. The system booted Windows and everything works just fine
including the USB3 ports. Nothing needed to be reinstalled and no
authentication was required.

(Windows did notice that something had changed. There was a dialog
box that I've never seen before showing that it was checking and/or
reinstalling drivers. But no intervention was needed, it all just
worked.)

Thanks for all the help.

-- john
Reply-to address is real