Old February 1st 04, 05:45 PM
Ken Fox

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message
Hi,
just trying to get some *confirmation* about this tech. I understand that
it is meant to be a bonus feature of the Canterwood chipset that somehow
makes the memory work faster. What I wont to know now is whether this
feature only works when you run your FSB and memory bus *synchronously* as
in 1:1.

I seem to be reading stuff that says it is not available when you run say

in
5:4 ratio?

If this is the case then its a great *leveller* between Springdale and
Canterwood chipsets, where someone wants to run 5:4 ratios. . .Is this

true,
or am I misinformed?

I am reading about G.A.T now, an ABIT feature similar to PAT for

Springdale
chipsets. .

V I P E R L A I R .com Game Accelerator Technology
http://tinyurl.com/3eex5

Looks cool, and seems to be getting great results in web reviews (lol
Streetracer, F1, sound funny)
--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!

Maybe not a complete answer to your question, however it is my impression
that PAT will not work if overclocking is enabled. Whether this is due to
the asynchonous ratios people usually get between CPU and RAM when they
overclock, I don't know. There have been some posts about being able to
enable PAT with overclocking on an Asus board, but then only by jumping
through a bunch of hoops that includes several bios flashings. Even with
jumping through these hoops, it is my understanding that you can only get
10, maybe 15% overclocks with PAT enabled. I don't know if going through
these machinations makes the system unstable or produces memory errors. I
haven't done it; BIOS flashings in my experience have brought much pain.

My sense from my own benchmarking is that PAT gave my system (P4 2.6c, 1gig
of PC3200 DDR RAM as 2 x 512MB sticks) no more than 5 or 7 % increase in
"results." I got better results from the mild 10% OC'ing I'm doing on both
the CPU and the RAM (FSB=220/880, CPU:RAM ratio of 1:1).

Good luck.

ken