Old December 6th 05, 07:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default BFG 6800GT OC VS 7800GT

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 12:34:27 -0500, Dave Zass wrote:
I've never had a problem running my apps and games with the 6800GT. I'm
planning on upgrading my system and I'm trying to decide whether I should
keep my BFG 6800GT OC 256mb AGP8X card or jump to the 7800GT. If I go
with the 7800, I buy a PCI-E mobo. If I keep my 6800GT, I'd buy an AGP
board. I know it's "old" techonology, but it would allow me to continue to
use my 6800GT for one more go 'round.

Obviously, there is a performance increase but is it worth shelling out
$500 to go from the 6800GT AGP8X to the 7800GT PCI-E?

FWIW, I'm currently running a XP 2700+, 1Gb with the 6800GT OC. I'm
building a Athlon X2 4400+, 2Gb.

So I guess my question is, do I put the 4400+ on an AGP8X board so that I
can still use the old card or do I spend $500 more to get the 4400+ on a
PCI-E board with a 7800GT? It adds significant cost to my build. Is it
worth it?

Just buy an all-new system (PCI-E, 7800, atc.) and then sell your
current system. A decent system with a 6800 is worth more than $50 :-)

I thought I was in the same quandry... I had what I thought was a dying
video card. But why buy a new video card with an old interface? So,
new mobo, which means new RAM and CPU, might as well get new disks...
for me, it turned out to be flaky system RAM, replaced it, system runs
perfect again.

* Reform California gun laws - http://www.reformcagunlaws.com/ *
* http://www.gunownersca.com - http://www.crpa.org/ *
* San Diego shooters come to http://shooting.forsandiego.com/ *