Old December 6th 05, 07:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default BFG 6800GT OC VS 7800GT

I agree with Augustus.

The video card is not an easy item to upgrade cheaply. Here is where I would
splurge if I were you. So I highly recommend you bite the bullet and buy the
best card you can at this time so you don't have to try to sell it next year
for a big loss. Get the 7800 GTX now if you can swing it. Or ... get the
very highest you can possibly afford or hey actually the 7800 GT is a great
bang for the buck I hear. And think of how great it will be to play your
fave games at the highest possible rez with all eye candy turned on! By the
way the 7800 GTX 512 just came out so 7800 GT is now third down the rung in
performance.

Remember, your TIME is valuable. Yet another reason to upgrade BIG when you
upgrade, so you can put it off longer until the next upgrade. And bonus, in
the mean time you enjoy game playing with higher rez and more eye candy
turned on!

There's a review on the new 512mb video card at Tom's site. If you check
the benchmarks, the 512mb card in single mode sometimes beat the SLI 512mb
mode. By a few frames.
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...114/index.html
And if I did my math correctly, the 7800GTX 512mb card was sometimes 23%-33%
faster compared to the 7800GTX 256mb video card for 1600 rez with 4x/8x
settings.
--
Scotter

"Dave Zass" wrote in message
I've never had a problem running my apps and games with the 6800GT. I'm
planning on upgrading my system and I'm trying to decide whether I should
keep my BFG 6800GT OC 256mb AGP8X card or jump to the 7800GT. If I go
with the 7800, I buy a PCI-E mobo. If I keep my 6800GT, I'd buy an AGP
board. I know it's "old" techonology, but it would allow me to continue to
use my 6800GT for one more go 'round.

Obviously, there is a performance increase but is it worth shelling out
$500 to go from the 6800GT AGP8X to the 7800GT PCI-E?