Old March 21st 06, 03:38 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default best cloning method?

Use True Image.

wrote

I'm beyond aggravated. I've upgraged dozens of hard drives in the
past using the floppy to format the new drive and copy the original
drive over to the new one. Apparently the days of simplicity are over.

Have been for a long time now, tho its even easier
to boot a True Image CD and get it to do the clone.

I tried using the Maxtor Maxblast software since the new drive
is a Maxtor 80g ata133 7200rpm (the old is a 28g Western Digital.)

Its always had some serious downsides.

Maxtor says to use the Windows based version of the program.
In the oldern days there was no such thing, and for good reason
- if any files are in use in your Windows session, how will you be
able to copy them to the new drive sucessfully?

The world's moved on on that now. Tho its still not necessarily
the best way to clone for various other reasons.

This results in failed attempt number one, since when I reboot
all the Norton software on the system is messed up. Systemworks
2006 needs to be reactivated. Antivirus 2006 shows that it's
running in the system tray, but the system checker thing says
that no antivirus software is present. Blah, blah, blah - bottom
line - it didn't work. So I start over and use the DOS version
of the software off of a bootable CD. I format the new drive,

You dont need to do that with a decent cloner.

but the automatic process of asking if you want to copy everything
over and make the new drive the boot drive is mysteriously gone.
So I manually use the utility that copies a hard drive partition to
move the old drive to the new. Only the new drive won't boot.
Apparently when you format it, the program sticks some files
on the drive depending on what OS you intend to install later.
Maybe this is the cause of the problem now - I don't know for sure.
I give up. I try one more time with the Windows version, but this
time I went into the startup section of msconfig to disable every
single Norton product and then manually stopped another 4 or 5
Symantec processes in the task manager. Surely it would work
this time. Nope. Identical problem - no antivirus installed and
every attempt to uninstall or reinstall fails miserably. Is there a nice
simple DOS program that I can run that will format the new drive,
copy the old to the new, and make the new drive bootable?

Its better to use True Image and it doesnt use DOS to
do the cloning from its bootable CD, it uses linux instead.

Thanks in advance for any help.