Old May 4th 04, 10:04 AM
rstlne

"Hop" wrote in message
I have a system with an AMD 64 3400+ on a K8T Neo MSI mainboard.
Have two SATA WD 120 gig in a raid 0 on the VIA chipset, not the promise!
Have 2 sticks infineon 512 meg pc3200 in dual channel, a Lite on DVD and
a Lite on CDRW, a SB Audigy 2 and an MSI 5900 Ultra XT with 256 megs...
The thing is blazing fast, and stuffed into a Foxconn mid tower with a

450
watt
power supply. The first pwsupply went out while running SiSoft burn in

and I figured I caught a weak component. I replaced that one with a 420

watt
Codegen and that one went up in less than 12 hours run time...
I have a 600 watt coming, but I would like to hear from the group on
possible
causes and things to look out for... Like I said this beast is VERY fast

but
it gets
a little expensive feeding it power supplies... Thanks in advance...

Many power supplys can come bad straight from the box (SWPS's Just do that
sorta thing sometimes).
When you get the new supply in, before checking how well it works under
"Stressful" benchmarks, look at the 5/12/3 v lines and see how well they are
in (If they are kinda far out then that might mean somethings pulling it
down). If everything is working good (but the supply's burn out) then there
is either a short forming somewhere, a ground fault (Check your wall plug),
or part of the equipment is pulling the kit down.

I guess all the other standard rules apply too, Make sure all the standoffs
are in the correct place, make sure all the cables are tight fitting, double
check anything that has external power (USB), so on so forth