Old July 2nd 03, 01:46 PM
G. Richard Stidger

I have successfully brought a HD back to life by sealing it in a
plastic bag and placing it in the freezer overnight.

I know it sounds strange, but I had a laptop drive that simply would
not boot. Gave a "disk controller error". After freezing, the drive
booted fine and I was able to get all the data off of it.

To my surprise, the drive continued to work after it warmed up.
However, I replaced it. My data is worth more than using a suspect
drive.

"hammer" bad_company'ala'barrysworld.com wrote:

Ok, I have ran fdisk to partition IBM deskstar 40gb drive all goes ok ,
reboot then partitions are lost. drive used to work. Then one day all
partitions where lost. Is this drive DEAD or can i repair it .

Have tried this to no avail:

fdisk/mbr
fdisk re-partitioning ( goes ok but doesn't hold partitions)
used diskpather but has error reading disk, can see old data but was only

demo version so limited functions)
partionmagic from Windows XP , get error on start up .
Tried installing Linux (mandrake 9.1 and redhat 7) to see if they could

partition drive, they failed.

any ideas would be gratefully recieved or do i just bin it, have new drive
now , but just wanted to see if i can salavage the drive.

cheers all

Jamie