Old September 4th 03, 01:06 PM
Larc

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 06:06:40 -0500, Strontium pondered exceedingly, then took
quill in hand and carefully composed...

| What you are referring to are actually Bank A, slot 0...Bank A, slot 1 and
| Bank B, slot 0...Bank B, slot 1. For dual channel operation, you populate
| either Bank A0 and Bank B0 or Bank A1 and Bank B1, with identical DIMMS
| (each bank consists of two channels, ie slots, 0 and 1). If you populate
| Bank A0 and Bank A1, with identical DIMMS, your memory is in single channel
| mode. However, it's still running at it's stated speed. I've been
| wondering about the difference, performance-wise, between the two modes.
| And, have not seen any difference personally. I would imagine it would have
| something to do with multitasking applications. But, I've yet to read any
| articles. Might do that, later today.

I've not had much luck finding anything that completely explains the differences
between using 1GB of RAM in one channel vs 512MB in each channel. Which is
better and why? I can't help thinking you'd need to double your RAM to get the
full benefit of hyperthreading.

When you learn the answer, please come back and educate us!

Larc

§§§ - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail - §§§