Old September 4th 03, 12:06 PM
Strontium

-
Jim Stevenson stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

snip

OK, the bottom line is you can use PC2100, PC2700 or PC3200 modules
either 256Mb or 512Mb. It appears all the major manufacturers memory
is supported. The most recommended ones tend to be:

Corsair
TwinMOS
Samsung
Crucial

Obviously there are others.
Another interesting thing I came across was in most cases 1 module is
ok
but when installing 2 modules it is preferable to install them in
alternate slots ie 1 & 3 or 2 & 4. I don't know the logic behind this
but I have come across problems on my own MSI mobo when installing
memory in slots 1 & 2.

What you are referring to are actually Bank A, slot 0...Bank A, slot 1 and
Bank B, slot 0...Bank B, slot 1. For dual channel operation, you populate
either Bank A0 and Bank B0 or Bank A1 and Bank B1, with identical DIMMS
(each bank consists of two channels, ie slots, 0 and 1). If you populate
Bank A0 and Bank A1, with identical DIMMS, your memory is in single channel
mode. However, it's still running at it's stated speed. I've been
wondering about the difference, performance-wise, between the two modes.
And, have not seen any difference personally. I would imagine it would have
something to do with multitasking applications. But, I've yet to read any
articles. Might do that, later today.

HTH

Jim

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit