Old June 25th 04, 07:31 PM
CJK

"rstlne" wrote in message
news:3OVCc.35$wk3.20@newsfe6-win...

"David Off" wrote in message
om...
I want to upgrade my Asus AS7-VM motherboard. It currently has an
Athlon 1GHz processor. According to Asus it will take up to a 1.4GHz
Athlon or 900 MHz Duron, I don't see why there is a difference in CPU
speed.

I checked the local computer store and it is only possible to get
Duron processors, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 GHz. Will a 1.4 GHz Duron buy me much
over a 1 GHz Athlon given the smaller on-board cache?

The Duron is a much later design, so will presumable generate less
heat.

I also wonder if I can run one of the higher speed Durons in this
mobo? The Asus doc only mentions 1.4GHz but maybe that is because
faster processors were not available at the time.

The Athlon XP processor doesn't seem to be any good due to the faster
FSB speed (266 MHz as opposed to 133MHz).

tia
David

the chips are 100 / 133 / 166 / 200 fsb (thats all)
if you see a chip that's quoted as having 266 fsb then it's going to work
with a 133 fsb.
like the other poster said, your limited to 100fsb so you could go the

path
of buying a mobile processor and running it at 15 x 100 (but you might

have
trouble with that too)
I would think the newer durons (applebreds) are lock'd internally now (as
with all non mobile AXP chips) but if that 1.4 applebred runs at 10.5 x

133
then you would have a 1050 duron on startup.

I dont know what you'll pay for the conversion cost (wish the uk would go

the euro)
but here is a mobile that should do that 15x100
http://www.cpucitystore.co.uk/catalo...roducts_id=416

Good luck in what ever you decide

Been looking into this for some time as I have an old Gigabyte 7AJA (KT133)
board
with a Duron 800 I would like to breathe some new life into cheaply while
keeping the
512MB of ECC PC133 memory and an ATI AIW AGP2 TV card so new mobo
not really an option.

Being unable to find a 200FSB processor, an XP2400 (15x133) underclocked
seems
fine. The mobo says 'unknown processor' but runs quite happily (& cool)
at 1.5GHz (15x100). Norton benchmarks about 4x as fast as the Duron 800
and it certainly performs better.

Processor is locked otherwise I assume I could run it at a higher clock
ratio
whilst still being in spec.

Chris K